Monday, July 11, 2005

McCollough, Colleen - The Thorn Birds


Although I have not read this recently, I did just come to the end of the 7 hours or so of the Thorn Birds dvd, a TV series made back in 1983 I think.

I dared to watch this with some hesitation as it's one of my favourite books. The biggest disappointment being the American accents of some or rather most of the characters. I was otherwise glad that I'd had my own experience and perspective of the book enhanced. I could be swayed when re-reading (some time) to see it all as the dvd showed it. Hopefully not, but I don't mind taking some.

Colleen McCollough has always impressed me. From, An Indecent Obsession, The Song of Troy, The Ladies of Missallonghi, Tim, The Touch, Morgans Run, to The Thorn Birds. I confess I only made it halfway through the First Man in Rome and am a bit daunted by the series that follows. Possibly my favourite author.

Strangely, I found myself best lost in the Character of Justine who features much less than Meggie Cleary. Something in me relates to her.
The best books do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home