Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Yancey, Philip - Reaching for the Invisible God

I have this feeling I've read parts of this book before, I know I've quoted it in an essay. However, I've gotten stacks out of it this time - probably more than previously.

I was particularly interested in some of the legalsim orientated stuff. I've found it helpful to read after a period of recognition where you are trying to do everything on your own - or at least approach things wrongly.

Yancey quotes Augustine, "On earth we are wayfarers, always on the go, this means that we have to keep on moving forward. Therefore be always unhappy about where you are if you want to reach where you are not. If you are pleased with what you are, you have stopped already. If you say, 'It is enough', you are lost. Keep on walking, moving forward, trying for the goal." (p.225)

Which reminded me of that verse in Hebrews 12, or 1 Cor 9, or any of those. About running the race...

No coincidence either, that I have been reading the start of Romans (been kind of stuck there for awhile now). Perseverance.
...and the Hebrews 12:1-2, author and perfector verse which has become ironically 'themeish'.

One other reminder, a line of song by Relient K - "Doubt your doubts, and believe your beliefs".

I think I'll give up on rating, unless it is particularly terrible, or unbelieveably beyond good. From now on they are all 4' s unless otherwise specified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home