Saturday, January 07, 2006

Miller, Donald - Blue Like Jazz

I'd had my eye on it for ages after Warwick read some out in our Youth Ministry class. Yesterday I found it in Word for $10 and with a further 20% off... well, $8!!! Which says two things, I can do a bit of basic maths, and I got a bargain for a very good book.

Yes thats right, alas I have read it already, which is precisely why I don't buy new books too often. This is a keeper though. Very easy to read (due to the fact that I like the way it is written) it is quite conversational, a lot of stories and thoughts around all areas of life.

The subtitle is somewhat like: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality.

I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.
After that I liked jazz music.
Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.
I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.


This book is partially autobiographical, it reads (haha) very much like a well thought out blog might. It would probably not appeal to super conservatives, or those deeply involved in church structure. If you want a laugh, to be made to think and have a few dollars and a few hours - do go get yourself a copy.

There are quite a few people I want to give this one to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home