Sunday, July 16, 2006

Keillor, Garrison - Lake Wobegon Days

It's taken me a long time to get through this one. As Mum said, "I read that once, I never really knew what it was about but it was still funny."
I entirely agree.
Very difficult to follow - not a story as such, but hundreds of glimpses into this imaginary yet lifelike 'outback' American town.
Completely hilarious, where the author has taken liberty of using footnotes to add alternate notions and points. The footnotes take a bit of getting used to but are by far the making of the story.
This is apparently a bit of a 'comic classic'. I'm glad I managed to persevere and get the whole. I have no idea even now who the main character really is, despite his narrating and I think pretty constant presence. Well worth the read, but I doubt I'll be picking it up again.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 pm, Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

Keillor is a great storyteller, but it's better when you hear him tell the stories. I read Lake Wobegon Days back when it was first published and enjoyed it. I've read it a couple of times since then and enjoyed it.

But part of that is probably that I used to regularily listen to his Prarie Home Companion and heard a lot of the Lake Wobegon monologues that he turned into this book there. And so, I can hear his voice in my head as I read his Lake Wobegon books and enjoy them more that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home