Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Feldhahn, Shaunti & Jeff - For Men Only

Okay. I'm not a Man. But I've read the female version (For Women Only), infact I even own it. That got recommended by someone at Tabor. It was... interesting, although I'd have to go back and reread for a better idea. So I've been eyeing off the alternate version at Sam's house. Managed to borrow it and gave it the read in one hit test.

These books both acknowledge that they do make large assumptions about women/men based on their findings and I'm glad they do. Reading this was my 'test' for potentially how accurate the other book is. This one I can guage with personal experience (being female and all).

So, it's not perfect. Things so rarely are. But I was still intrigued by what was put forward (a lot of which I would pick) and impressed by their ability to name and describe some of the stuff I was only semi-conscious of. It is nice now and then to have that insight in to why you react/respond. I also found that in recognising some of what (some) guys don't understand the converse of understanding their differences was further emphasised despite it thoroughly not being about them.

So there you go. Now I'll just have to trial both copies on... some happy to oblige male. (I might have one in mind). It'll at least make for interesting discussion. Here's to slamming theories and generalisations into the dirt and to maybe even getting something out of it.

NB: Although they do write to couples (eg. boyfriend/girlfriend) and married couples - they more frequently write towards the married direction. This is something to be wary of. It depends on the individuals, how you treat it and what you clarify before shoving this at the person you spend lots of time thinking about. A little discrection advised.

btw.... I don't just read 'relationshipy' books - I just finish them quickly as they merit x amount of time and not so much more. The next up should be 'Story' by James someone. And I'm telling you it's brilliant! Warrants far more than a read in one sitting.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 pm, Blogger Cozmos said...

so you interested in lending a certain book ;)

 
At 11:25 am, Blogger Bec said...

ha!
not to you I'm not. Not yet anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home