Friday, November 17, 2006

Elliot, Elisabeth - Passion and Purity

I read it upon the recommendation of a friend. It's the 'classic' Christian book on purity I guess.

To be honest, I wasn't really that impressed. It was very old fashioned - granted. And there was a lot in there about physical purity, it just confused me (looking a bit objectively) that in some way she was - it's the story of her and Jim Elliot's courtship roughly, extremely emotionally involved and he was pulling strings that way. But hey... not being a 'feeler' kind of person and being very strongly 'T' perhaps I just see things differently.

I didn't really get a lot out of the book. It had some good stuff in there if you were 'long distancing' but yeah... no.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:23 am, Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Please. Forget these other books.
Read Debbie Maken's Getting Serious About Getting Married: Rethinking the Gift of Singleness.
And then join the revolution against the false doctrine of a "gift of singleness" that has infected the church!

 
At 2:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. I wont forget these other books. I like to read widely as so to gain an informed perspective. I think that yes maybe the church has gotten singleness wrong in the past but that is fast being realised and the 'wait for the husband to drop into your lap' isn't where most of these books are headed. Passion and Purity a) isn't about singleness and I don't think even touts the 'I waited for him to drop into my lap', it is a story of one woman and man's relationship and how that played out - 50odd years ago (hence different formalities etc).

The books on singleness that I do like (and no I am not single) are those that emphasize not the status or non-status of a relationship but about being more fully who you are at whatever stage of your life - it's just a pity some of these ideas need to be masked under book titles proclaiming 'singleness'. No one should define themselves under the period of relationship (or seemingly lack there of).

In talking about a 'gift' of singleness, I think that is very rare (with the exception of the conviction of the vow of chastity etc with random monks) that such a thing exists.

Singleness is a point in your life but it does not define who you are. Nor should the desire or 'status' of marriage.

Its a simple fact, some people marry, some people don't, some people marry more than once....

I don't think that anyone should form an opinion based on one book for a Single or MarryMe advocate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home